Federal Work Study Program
Students awarded Federal Work Study (FWS) have the opportunity to work an on-campus work-study job or an off-campus community service position. Federal Work Study students will receive a biweekly paycheck (via Direct Deposit). Students are awarded FWS through the FAFSA; if you did not receive FWS but are interested in a possible position, please contact the Financial Aid Office to add your name to the wait list.
Most students work 6-10 hours per week while school is in session to earn their offered award. Funds from this program are paid directly to the student (as opposed to being paid towards your Becker bill) and can be used for personal expenses.
How do I obtain a work study position and ensure that I get paid?
- You must be the recipient of a work study award through your financial aid package. You can access your financial aid through your “Financial Aid Awards” section of your myBecker account. Please note, until all of these steps and the required documents are completed, the status will read “In process.”
- Carefully read the Employee Handbook (opens in a new window).
- Search available work study positions through our employment platform, Handshake.
- Contact potential supervisor(s) to apply for posted positions.
- Pick up your work study authorization and payroll paperwork from the Office of Financial Aid prior to interviewing for a position. You may also email us at email@example.com to request a packet through email.
- Once you secure a position, you and your supervisor complete and sign the payroll paperwork. Complete the paperwork three days prior to your start date.
- Return all paperwork to the Office of Financial Aid. You cannot begin your position without having the Office of Financial Aid review paperwork and authorize it with payroll.
Required Documents: Eligible students must complete all of the following forms in order to begin employment
All Work Study Employees:
- Conditions of Employment
- Employee Confidentiality Agreement
- Payroll Authorization Form
- Direct Deposit Form (not required if there are no changes from previous year)
Additional Forms for First-Time Work Study Employees Only:
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification (Federal Form – must be signed and dated in blue or black ink, pencil not accepted)
- No scans or faxes, original version required.
- Proper Identification Required – Two original forms of ID (see list at link, Page 3) or a valid, original US Passport (copies not accepted).
- W-4 Tax Withholding Form (Federal Form – must be signed and dated in blue or black ink, pencil not accepted)
Finding a Position
Available Work Study Job postings are listed on the Center for Career Education and Advising’s (CCEA) job portal, Handshake.
Handshake Login (opens in a new window), Access using your Becker profile
More information about Handshake on the CCEA Page
After Finding a Position
Employee Handbook 2018-19 (opens in a new window)
Electronic Time Entry Instructions (opens in a new window)
Pay Schedule – Fall 2018 (opens in a new window)