Students must be taking in-person, on-campus classes in Spring 2021 to be eligible for work-study during the Spring 2021 term. Remote students do not have the opportunity to work on campus this semester. If you had work-study as part of your Financial Aid Package and will be remote for the Spring 2021 term, please contact the Financial Aid Office in March 2021 for potential updates to your aid package.
General Work Study Information
Students awarded Federal Work Study (FWS) have the opportunity to work an on-campus work-study job or an off-campus community service position. Federal Work Study students will receive a biweekly paycheck (via Direct Deposit). Students are awarded FWS through the FAFSA; if you did not receive FWS but are interested in a possible position, please contact the Financial Aid Office to add your name to the wait list.
Most students work 6-10 hours per week while school is in session to earn their offered award. Funds from this program are paid directly to the student (as opposed to being paid towards your Becker bill) and can be used for personal expenses.
It is the student’s responsibility to track their hours and not exceed their eligibility allotment.
Note on the Waiting List:
- If you did not receive Work Study as part of your initial package, you may contact our office (firstname.lastname@example.org) and request to be placed on the Waiting List.
- If you are on the Waiting List and do not hear from us, unfortunately that means that we don’t have availability at this time.
How do I obtain a work study position and ensure that I get paid?
- You must be the recipient of a work study award through your financial aid package. You can access your financial aid through your “Financial Aid Awards” section of your myBecker account. Please note, until all of these steps and the required documents are completed, the status will read “In process.”
- Carefully read the Employee Handbook (opens in a new window).
- Search available work study positions through our employment platform, Handshake.
- Contact potential supervisor(s) to apply for posted positions.
- Print out your work study authorization and payroll paperwork. Eligible students were emailed the paperwork; students may also email us at email@example.com (opens in a new window) to request a new packet through email.
- Once you secure a position, you and your supervisor complete and sign the payroll paperwork. Complete the paperwork three days prior to your start date.
- Return all paperwork to the Office of Financial Aid. You cannot begin your position without having the Office of Financial Aid review paperwork and authorize it with payroll.
Required Documents: Eligible students must complete all of the following forms in order to begin employment
All Work Study Employees:
- Conditions of Employment (opens in a new window)
- Employee Confidentiality Agreement (opens in a new window)
- Payroll Authorization Form (opens in a new window)
- Direct Deposit Form (opens in a new window). Please note, this form is not required if there are no changes from previous year.
Additional Forms for First-Time Work Study Employees Only:
- W-4 Tax Withholding Form (opens in a new window). This is a Federal Form that must be signed and dated in blue or black ink; pencil not accepted.
- I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification (opens in a new window). This is a Federal Form that must be signed and dated in blue or black ink; pencil not accepted. This version is valid through 10/31/22.
- Proper Identification Required – Two original forms of ID (see list at the I-9 Link, Page 3) or a valid, original US Passport (copies not accepted).
- Note: No scans or faxes allowed, originals required. Your supervisor will make a copy of the original documents and forward them to Payroll.
Finding a Position
Available Work Study Job postings are listed on the Center for Career Education and Advising’s (CCEA) job portal, Handshake.
Handshake Login (opens in a new window), Access using your Becker profile
More information about Handshake on the CCEA Page
After Finding a Position
Employee Handbook Spring 2021 (opens in a new window)
myBecker Time Entry Instructions (opens in a new window)
Spring Pay Schedule (opens in a new window)