Federal Work Study Program

Students awarded Federal Work Study (FWS) have the opportunity to work an on-campus work-study job or an off-campus community service position. Federal Work Study students will receive a biweekly paycheck (via Direct Deposit). Students are awarded FWS through the FAFSA; if you did not receive FWS but are interested in a possible position, please contact the Financial Aid Office to add your name to the wait list.

Most students work 6-10 hours per week while school is in session to earn their offered award. Funds from this program are paid directly to the student (as opposed to being paid towards your Becker bill) and can be used for personal expenses.

For the 2019/20 School Year, students should expect to work between 55 and 60 hours/term. It is the student’s responsibility to track those hours and not exceed them.

Note on the Fall 2019 Waiting List:

  • If you did not receive Work Study as part of your initial package, you may contact our office (financialaid@becker.edu) and request to be placed on the Waiting List.
  • If you are on the Waiting List, we will begin contacting eligible students after October 1, 2019.
  • If you are on the Waiting List and do not hear from us, unfortunately that means that we don’t have availability at this time.

How do I obtain a work study position and ensure that I get paid?

  • You must be the recipient of a work study award through your financial aid package. You can access your financial aid through your “Financial Aid Awards” section of your myBecker account. Please note, until all of these steps and the required documents are completed, the status will read “In process.”
  • Carefully read the Employee Handbook (opens in a new window).
  • Search available work study positions through our employment platform, Handshake.
  • Contact potential supervisor(s) to apply for posted positions.
  • Print out your work study authorization and payroll paperwork. Eligible students were emailed the paperwork; students may also email us at financialaid@becker.edu (opens in a new window) to request a new packet through email.
  • Once you secure a position, you and your supervisor complete and sign the payroll paperwork. Complete the paperwork three days prior to your start date.
  • Return all paperwork to the Office of Financial Aid. You cannot begin your position without having the Office of Financial Aid review paperwork and authorize it with payroll.

Required Documents: Eligible students must complete all of the following forms in order to begin employment

All Work Study Employees:

Additional Forms for First-Time Work Study Employees Only:

  • W-4 Tax Withholding Form (opens in a new window). This is a Federal Form that must be signed and dated in blue or black ink; pencil not accepted.
  • I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification (opens in a new window). This is a Federal Form that must be signed and dated in blue or black ink; pencil not accepted. This version is valid through 8/31/19.
  • Proper Identification Required – Two original forms of ID (see list at the I-9 Link, Page 3) or a valid, original US Passport (copies not accepted).
  • Note: No scans or faxes allowed, originals required.

Finding a Position

Available Work Study Job postings are listed on the Center for Career Education and Advising’s (CCEA) job portal, Handshake.

Handshake Login (opens in a new window), Access using your Becker profile

More information about Handshake on the CCEA Page

After Finding a Position

Employee Handbook 2019-20 (opens in a new window)

Electronic Time Entry Instructions (opens in a new window)