Semester in the City is an amazing opportunity to earn a full semester’s worth of credit to live and work in Boston! The program is centered around a full-time internship in the social impact sector, where you will receive individual mentorship, build transferable skills, and support organizations working on issues you care about! You will also take two classes, meet like-minded students from different campuses, and get to live in an affordable apartment in the heart of the city. To hear more about the program, fill out this form to be connected with someone from Semester in the City!
All Becker College Study Away Eligibility requirements apply.
- Be a full-time Bachelor’s degree candidate in good academic, judicial, and financial standing.
- Be at least sophomore standing (24 credits) with a declared major, at the time of the program.
- Maintain a 2.5 minimum cumulative grade point average at the time of application AND at the time the program begins.
- All participants must demonstrate self-motivation, maturity, and self-advocacy.
There are NO additional tuition costs! Students pay regular tuition, fees, Semester in the City housing*. Financial aid applies, so this program usually costs the same – or less – than a regular semester at Becker College!
*Commuter students, speak with your advisor about the related housing cost.
Some discounts for housing are available through Semester in the City.
Accepted students enroll in SOCI-3400 and SOCI-4900 for a total of 15 credits.
- SOCI-3400 Social Innovator’s Toolbox – 3 credits (fulfills the Humanities OR Global and Diversity elective requirement)
- SOCI-4900 Internship – College for Social Innovation – 12 credits (fulfills a combination of internship and open electives and/or major courses depending upon your academic program). See your Advisor to create a plan.
It is possible for these credits to count toward elective requirements, open electives and some major courses. Once again, check with your Advisor in the Center for Career Education & Advising (CCEA) to see how the credits will fit your academic situation and your major.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact your Advisor directly via email or schedule an appointment through Starfish.
You can also email CCEA@Becker.edu or call 774.354.0448.
HOW TO APPLY:
Step 1: Eligibility Check. Students must undergo an eligibility process at Becker College before any study away or abroad program. Begin the process with your advisor.
Step 2: Application. Fill out the online application.
- Fall Semester deadlines: March 1 (priority, and April 1 (final)
- Spring Semester deadlines: October 1 (priority), and November 1 (final)Semester in the City
http://collegeforsocialinnovation.org/apply/ (opens in new window)
The application pieces will include:
- Semester in the City Application – see tips and tricks here!
- Resume and two references
Step 3: Interview. Top candidates will be invited to interview.
Step 4: Selection. Students will be notified if they are selected into the program.
Step 5: Confirmation. Students must confirm their acceptance to the program.
Step 6: Once students are confirmed by Semester in the City and commit to the program, they will work with their advisor to register for SOCI-3400 and SOCI-4900.