Linden Hall, Residence Life Office
64 William Street
Worcester, MA 01609
The mission of Living Learning Communities at Becker College is to integrate curricular and co-curricular experiences to foster characteristics of leadership, social responsibility, and creative expression. Living Learning Communities cultivate interactions among students, faculty, and staff by building a community of scholars who share common interests.
A Living Learning Community (LLC) is a group of students who live in the same residence hall and share a common interest or academic goal. Although each LLC will have a different theme, goals, and programs, they all strive to:
• Facilitate personal relationships among students, faculty, and staff;
• Build nurturing, welcoming atmospheres to increase learning and student retention;
• Encourage student participation in a variety of activities that foster a learning environment.
Being a part of an LLC will provide the residents with a mutual support network, offer evening social events, and have programs catered to the theme of the community, designed to enhance the overall Becker College experience. Some other benefits for participating residents are:
• Opportunities to develop a network of friends and meet those who share a common goal;
• Support to help improve grades;
• Help and encouragement through peer networking;
• A residential setting that is an active, supportive, and exciting place in which to live and learn!
The Interactive Media and Design Living Learning Community (IMAD LLC) started in Fall 2012. The IMAD LLC is for students of all years who are enrolled in any of the Design programs. IMAD residents often work on group projects together in the common room, attend various social programs hosted by the Resident Assistant and IMAD faculty, and take trips to conferences and seminars that focus on the gaming industry. These programs collectively give Interactive Media and Design LLC students the exclusive experiences that help them relate their classwork to real world situations within the field.
Location: Beeches Hall (first-year residents) & Merrill Hall (upper class residents)
The Leadership Exploration Living Learning Community is a new LLC at Becker College launching during the Fall of 2018. This LLC is open to incoming students of all majors who are interested in exploring their personal leadership styles and how leadership can be used to positively impact their community and the world around them. Students in this LLC will participate in activities and volunteer opportunities throughout the year that grow their leadership skills and help connect their work in the classroom to their experience in the residence halls and beyond.
The Animal Welfare Living Learning Community LLC launched in Fall 2016. The Animal Welfare LLC is open to upper-class students of all majors who have a passion for animals, big or small, and are interested in actively engaging in issues of animal welfare locally, nationally, and globally. Residents of the Animal Welfare LLC will have the opportunity to volunteer, take field trips to local shelters and sanctuaries, and fundraise to help support and raise awareness of animal welfare issues.
Location: May House
The Health & Wellness Living Learning Community launched in Fall 2016. The Health & Wellness LLC is open to upper-class students of all majors who are interested in leading a balanced life. Residents will learn strategies for improving their health and well-being. The Health & Wellness LLC provides students the opportunity to explore concepts of holistic wellness and locate resources on campus that promote well-being.
The Health & Wellness LLC provides students the opportunity to:
• Identify the different areas of wellness- social, physical, mental/emotional, spiritual, environmental, intellectual, and occupational;
• Experience personal growth by addressing the health of their mind, body, and spirit;
• Explore concepts of holistic wellness and locate resources on campus that promote well being.
Students who participate in this learning community will be motivated to make a lifelong commitment to keeping wellness a priority.
Location: Lane Hall