Community Service / Volunteering
Becker College is committed to serving our community. We strongly believe in the interconnectedness of our neighborhood, our nation, and our world.
The Office of Campus Activities & Student Leadership emphasizes and empowers all members of the Becker College student community to engage in socially responsible actions and opportunities throughout their Becker experience throughout a variety of ways.
- The Office of Campus Activities & Student Leadership (CASL) starts encouraging student engagement in social responsibility from the start of their Becker College experience- at the June new student orientation program (for first year students). During the June new student orientation program, incoming students participate in a service learning experience, designed to address privilege, poverty, and contribute to the efforts to end childhood hunger. Becker College students have packaged over 80,000 healthy, sustainable meals for hungry children over the last 3 years of the service project.
- All student organizations recognized through CASL and the Student Governance Advisory Board are required to participate in one community service experience per academic year. Details about the specific community service experience and guidelines for such are announced to each recognized group at the start of each academic year.
- CASL supports the organization and execution of the annual local Pet Rock Festival, hosted on Becker's Leicester campus. The Pet Rock event features local animal agencies and vendors who come together to provide services and raise money for animal cruelty awareness, advocacy and efforts. Students are asked and able to volunteer with Pet Rock by contacting the Office of Campus Activities & Student Leadership.
- Additionally, students seeking volunteer opportunities should visit Handshake (hosted by the Center for Career Education & Advising). Use your general student account information to log in; then search the various student volunteer positions for further information.
- Finally, the College supports the local United Way.
For any community agencies seeking volunteer support from Becker College students or community members, our current process is as follows:
Agencies/community partners should post student volunteer position information through Handshake – our online career management portal, (through our Center for Career Education & Advising). All community agencies are welcome to utilize Handshake to post your opportunity for students! If the Office of Campus Activities & Student Leadership receives any inquiries from students about volunteer opportunities, we will point them to Handshake for further information and exploration.
For any community agencies with an interest in posting a volunteer position to Handshake, please follow this link to create an account/posting.