In addition to the requirements listed under first-year applicants, all Animal Studies applicants must:
- Earn cumulative GPA of 2.7 or better.
- Complete two years of college preparatory secondary level school science, including biology with a lab and chemistry with a lab. Both courses must be completed within five years, with a minimum grade of C+. A four-credit college course in biology with a lab and a four-credit college chemistry course with a lab within five years, with grades of C+ or better, will also satisfy the pre-requisite science requirement.
- Complete two years of college preparatory level secondary school mathematics, including algebra I and II or algebra I and geometry. Both courses must be completed within five years, with a minimum grade of C+. A three-credit college course in college algebra within five years, with a grade of C+ or better, will also satisfy the prerequisite math requirement.
- Complete three years of secondary school English, with a grade of C or better.
- Based on placement test results, students may be required to take MATF1001, Foundations of Collegiate Mathematics, concurrently with or prior to clinical courses. Early placement testing is advised to avoid delay in beginning clinical coursework.
The aforementioned grade requirements are minimums. Due to the competitive selection process for the Veterinary Science majors, only the most academically qualified students will be directly admitted into these programs.
Students are admitted in the fall only for the two-year Animal Care and two-year Veterinary Technology programs. Students may apply for the fall or spring semesters for the following programs: the four-year Veterinary Technology and Pre-Veterinary Science.
Students who are not selected for the Animal Studies programs may still be admitted to the college as an undecided student. The Undecided-Veterinary program is a structured, one semester program through which students may meet the requirements listed above at the college level. Students will take the following courses:
BIOL 1001* 4 cr
CHEM 1001* 4 cr
MATH 1200* 3 cr
CORE 1001 3 cr
NOTE: Students who do not meet the SAT or Accuplacer requirement for college algebra MUST register for Foundations of Collegiate Mathematics. The cost of this summer online program is included in the tuition for the fall semester. Students are responsible for the cost of books. A grade of C or better must be earned in order to progress to College Algebra and begin the semester as an Undecided-Veterinary student.
Students must achieve grades of C+ or better in the (*) courses and a minimum 2.7 GPA overall. Having achieved that they will be automatically transferred into the Animal Studies of their choice (Vet Tech, Vet Science, or Pre-Vet).
Students who are not meeting these requirements at the time midterm grades are submitted will be counseled to consider another major at the college in which they might enroll. If, after examination of final grades they have met the standard set above, they will be allowed to change their major to the desired veterinary science program and register for the appropriate veterinary science courses. If they have not met the requirements, they will be given a letter detailing the remaining requirements to be met and they must select another major.
Students may not remain in the Undecided-Veterinary program for more than one semester and are not allowed to select this status after the add-drop period of their first semester ends.