Master of Fine Arts in Interactive Media
This rigorous 60-credit program is intended to prepare students for careers in the highly competitive and ever-changing field of game design. A Masters in Fine Art is a terminal degree in this field. The cornerstone of the MFA program at Becker College is Advanced Game Studio work, in which the student, under the direction of experienced mentors, completes an original interactive media project based on their own personal skill sets and vision. The MFA program may be completed in two years for students who hold a relevant BS/BA degree. Students enrolled in Becker College’s Game+ program will obtain both their BA and MFA in five years.
Courses will begin in the fall of 2018 with limited enrollment.
MFA candidates will:
- Successfully complete four semesters of MFA academic courses and studio work including a one week residency per semester. 48 credits of studio work, combined with 12 credits of academic work.
- Complete a thesis project that demonstrates the student's’ understanding of both the technical and aesthetic perspectives of their chosen area of study within the context of the interactive media/video game medium. Students must also demonstrate their ability to carry on a sustained, professional-level project, completely realized in time for a thesis presentation during their final residency.
- Participate in four critique/exhibitions (one per semester during residency).
Graduates of the Becker College MFA in Interactive Media will be prepared to take leadership roles within the interactive media industry and will have achieved the following
Student Learning Outcomes:
- Master the tools, theory and practice associated with their chosen area of interest.
- The critical evaluation of aesthetics, consequences, and value of visual assets and elements.
- Design and develop interactive media for both game and non-game applications.
- Create, maintain and effectively present an industry-standard portfolio.
- Work and lead effectively in a team-based, production environment.
- Develop and present ideas effectively in written, verbal, and visually compelling ways.
- Understand the importance of data analytics and user-experience design principles to create engaging products.
- Build a network of professional connections within their chosen industry.
- Apply empathy, divergent thinking, an entrepreneurial outlook, and social and emotional intelligence across a broad spectrum of professional activities within the discipline.
Please take the Master of Fine Arts in Interactive Media (MFA) Survey
Becker College has been called “a destination for game designers” by U.S. News and World Report. Becker College, home of the Massachusetts Digital Games Institute (MassDiGI), has been consistently ranked by The Princeton Review for the past six years as a top undergraduate school to study game design–#5 in the world in 2016; our game design and game development and programming majors are among the most innovative and best in the nation.