Happy Summer! Becker College will be closed on Fridays, beginning June 22 until August 10.

Resources for Students with Disabilities

Please click on the following links to download some helpful information regarding disability services.

» Disability Services Accommodation Registration Form
» General Disability Guidelines
» Testing Accommodation Request

Becker College is committed to fostering academic success by supporting the needs of each individual student. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Becker College provides appropriate accommodations to ensure that no student is discriminated against on the basis of his/her disability.

In compliance with federal and state regulations, reasonable accommodations are provided to qualified students with disabilities. A qualified student is a person who, with or without reasonable accommodations, can perform the essential functions of program or course requirements. The essential requirements of an academic course or program need not be modified to accommodate an individual with a disability.

If you are a student with a disability as determined under the ADA, and as defined in Chapter 504 of The Rehabilitation Act of 1973, you may wish to discuss reasonable accommodations with the ADA/504 Coordinator. Appropriate documentation must also be provided to ensure accommodations, as specified and related to those disability recommendations. Please e-mail the ADA/504 Coordinator (micky.roberts@becker.edu), or call 508-373-9704 for a confidential discussion. Please allow adequate time at the beginning of each semester to access your accommodations and to ensure that appropriate support services can be provided.

*Documentation for students with learning disabilities should be sent directly to Micky Roberts.
Please do not send documentation to other departments, including Admissions.*

In keeping with the College‘s confidentiality policy, approval for reasonable accommodations within the classroom, authorized by the Director of the CLC and ADA/504 Coordinator, will list only those approved accommodations and not the nature of the disability. Documentation must be approved and signed each semester by the student and the ADA/504 Coordinator. It is then up to the student to provide this information to the faculty members, obtain signatures, and to return the white copy to the CLC. Approval for accommodations for one class may not automatically transfer to other classes, but will be reviewed by the ADA/504 Coordinator on a case-by-case basis, and will include a confidential discussion between the student and the ADA/504 Coordinator. Discussions with parents or legal guardians are encouraged when supported by FERPA documentation.

Grievance Procedure

Any person who believes she or he has been subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability may file a grievance under this procedure. It is against the law for Becker College to retaliate against anyone who files a grievance or cooperates in the investigation of a grievance.

Informal Grievance Procedure

With respect to any grievance covered under this policy and as a prerequisite to initiating one of the formal grievance procedures, a student shall first attempt to resolve his or her complaint informally by meeting with the Director of the CLC and ADA/504 Coordinator or with her designee. If the grievance is not resolved informally, then the student shall have the right to invoke the appropriate formal grievance procedure.

Formal Grievance Procedure for the Denial of Academic Accommodations and Services

  1. A student with a disability, as defined by the ADA and the Rehabilitation Act, shall have the right to request that the Title IX Coordinator review the denial of any requested academic accommodation or service.
  2. The Title IX Coordinator or designee shall assess the formal complaint and review all information necessary to render a written determination. If requested, the student shall supply any additional information and/or documentation as requested by the Title IX Coordinator or designee. The Title IX Coordinator or designee will issue a written Letter of Determination within thirty (30) days.
  3. If the student disagrees with the determination, the student may seek a review with the Chief Academic Officer or designee. The student shall submit a written letter within ten (10) days of receipt of determination, requesting a review of the complaint.
  4. The Chief Academic Officer or designee shall review the student’s letter, all pertinent records, and docu­mentation. After completing the review, the Chief Academic Officer or designee will provide a letter of determination to the student within ten (10) days.  The decision of the Chief Academic Officer or designee is final.

Office of Civil Rights (OCR) Complaint

Although students are encouraged to attempt to resolve complaints pertaining to disabilities by using this Grievance Procedure, they have the right to file a complaint directly with the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (OCR).

Notice of Nondiscrimination: Becker College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, disability, gender identification, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, admission to and enrollment with the College, including, but not limited to, recruitment, selection, hiring, placement, transfer, promotion, training, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, educational policies, admission policies, financial aid, scholarship and loan programs, housing, athletic and other College-administered programs and activities. Further, faculty, staff, students, and applicants are protected from retaliation for filing complaints or assisting in an investigation of discrimination. Inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies may be directed to: Michelle Fatcheric, Title IX Coordinator, 44 West Street, Worcester, MA, 774.354.0462, michelle.fatcheric@becker.edu.

FAQs: Students with Disabilities

» How are accommodations determined at Becker College?
» What documentation is required to determine the most appropriate accommodations?
» What is the process to register for disability services at Becker College, including academic accommodations and on-campus housing accommodations?
» Does submitted disability documentation remain confidential?
» Where can I get more information about the transition from high school to college for students with disabilities?
» Where can I find information about testing for a learning disability and/or ADD?

Q: How are accommodations determined at Becker College?

If you are a student with a documented disability, you may benefit from certain accommodations. The ADA/504 Coordinator is available to discuss such options with you.

Accommodations are determined on an individual basis, with a thorough review of comprehensive disability documentation and a confidential consultation with the student. Students must provide documentation to the ADA/504 Coordinator in a timely manner, preferably within the first week of the semester, to ensure each student’s needs are addressed appropriately.

Q: What documentation is required to determine the most appropriate accommodations?

Documentation must be current and comprehensive, made within five years of the request for accommodation. It must verify the nature and extent of a specific disability as diagnosed by an evaluator with appropriate professional credentials and include relevant testing results. The need for specific academic adjustments must be clearly substantiated based on current need.

Approved accommodations may differ from those previously provided, as they must appropriately address the current impact of the disability on the student’s performance in a collegiate setting.

Q: What is the process to register for disability services at Becker College, including academic accommodations and on-campus housing accommodations?

Students must download and complete the Disability Services Accommodation Registration Form, gather copies of relevant disability documentation, and email the ADA/504 coordinator at micky.roberts@becker.edu or call 508.373.9704 to schedule an appointment for a confidential conversation.

Students should mail documentation to: Becker College/Micky Roberts, 61 Sever Street, Worcester, MA 01609. Documentation can also be faxed to 508.373.9785. It is strongly advised that students make appointments and submit documentation as close as possible to the beginning of the academic semester.

Once the documentation is submitted, students must schedule a meeting with the ADA/504 Coordinator to discuss the need for appropriate accommodations and to complete the internal accommodation forms. As these accommodation forms are specific to individual courses, students must meet with the ADA/504 Coordinator at the beginning of each semester to obtain updated forms and review progress.

Students who may benefit from an on-campus housing accommodation may complete a Housing Accommodation Application Form.  Students must submit the completed application form (portions to be completed by student and physician) to the Office of Residence Life/Student Affairs prior to the beginning of each academic year in order to be considered for housing accommodations.  Housing applications are reviewed by the Housing Committee in April for returning students and in June for new students.

Q: Does submitted disability documentation remain confidential?

Becker College ensures FERPA and HIPAA privacy rule compliance. All disability documentation submitted to the ADA/504 Coordinator is confidential.  It is the student’s responsibility to initiate contact with the ADA/504 Coordinator regarding any disability, and it is up to the student to continue the accommodation process by communicating his/her needs to the faculty after completing the approval process. Becker College recognizes the right of the student to determine who receives/has access to disability-related information, as well as the right to confidentiality.

Students may contact the ADA/504 Coordinator at any time with questions or for more information regarding disabilities and academic accommodations, as well as other academic supports available to students through the Collaborative Learning Center.

Q: Where can I get more information about the transition from high school to college for students with disabilities?

The Association on Higher Education And Disability (AHEAD) website is an informative resource for students and parents who are looking for more information regarding services for disabilities at the post-secondary level.

Q: Where can I find information about testing for a learning disability and/or ADD?

Ask your primary care physician about a referral for appropriate testing options. The Learning Disabilities Association of America (LDA) website may also help students research other possibilities.

Additional Information:

The following links include information that may be helpful for students with disabilities.

  • Affordablecolleges.com has developed a list of scholarships available to students with disabilities. You can find the list here.