School / Class Cancellations & Delays
School cancellations, delayed opening or early closing procedure
Note: School cancellations or delays DO NOT affect online classes.
When it is necessary to cancel school, delay opening or close early because of weather or special emergency, the procedures listed below should be followed:
- The Vice President for Student Affairs will consult with Facilities, Campus Police and Highway/Traffic Departments regarding current weather conditions and extended forecasts. Based on the information received, the Chief Academic Officer will decide to cancel, delay opening or close early.
- The Chief Academic Officer will initiate the call-in announcement for the main switchboard, posting on the website and Angel main pages. The Office of Academic Affairs will contact the radio stations to broadcast an announcement and an automated message and/or text message will be sent to telephone numbers on file. The Vice President for Student Affairs will contact Food Services, Maintenance and Housekeeping staff for support services, as necessary.
Students and staff members are responsible for checking the website/Angel or listening to announcements on local radio stations:
- WTAG 580 AM
- WBZ 1030 AM
- WRKO 680 AM
- WSRS 96.1 FM
- WORC 98.9 FM
- WXLO 104.5 FM
- The Pike 100.1 FM
- WBZ Channel 4
- WCVB Channel 5
- WHDH Channel 7
- WFXT Fox 25
or by calling the College’s main telephone number for the recorded message (generally, the earliest form of notification):
- (508) 373-9599 – direct
- (508) 791-9241; option #8 – automated system
- (877) 523-2537; option #8 – toll free
The decision to cancel classes will be made by 5:30 a.m. The decision to cancel evening classes will be made by 3:00 p.m. and will be announced on the same radio and television stations.
Unless the College is closed, all staff is expected to report to work.
Announcements will be broadcast as follows:
- “All day classes (for that day) at Worcester and Leicester campuses are cancelled.”
- “First period classes are cancelled.” (In cases where first period classes are cancelled, another announcement will be aired at 8:00 a.m. regarding the status of classes for the remainder of the day.)
- “All evening classes (for that day) at Worcester and Leicester campuses are cancelled.”
Announcements for Accelerated program cohorts on the Worcester and Leicester campuses will fall into the day and evening announcements as outlined above. Specific cohorts attending sessions off-campus at various locations will be notified at the direction of the Dean for Accelerated and Professional Studies.