League of Legends, one of the most popular video games of all-time, is the college’s inaugural title in its new Varsity Esports Program.
Becker, well-known for its game design program, is the first college in Massachusetts to offer scholarships to varsity esports student athletes.
Building on the success and growth of the college’s gaming tournaments and esports clubs, Becker seeks to become a championship-driven varsity esports powerhouse. Student athletes will have access to state-of-the-art equipment, services and facilities, a strong community, as well as experienced staff and online training through Gamer Sensei, the world’s top source for esports coaches.
Beginning in fall 2018, scholarships of up to $5,000 per year may be awarded to select student-athletes based on criteria such as academics, ability, communication skills, fit and role.
As of spring 2019, the Varsity Esports Program also supports an Overwatch team and, due to special opportunities, teams in SMITE and Paladins.
For more information about the Varsity Esports Program or to be recruited, please email email@example.com – or complete an application indicating an interest in esports.
To catch all the latest news about the Becker Varsity Esports Program, please follow us on Twitter.
Becker’s Varsity Esports Program works closely with the college’s student-led esports club. The club, a Tespa chapter, supports a number of games including Overwatch, Hearthstone, League of Legends, Rocket League among others. The Varsity Esports Program also works with the college’s student-let gaming tournaments club which primarily plays Super Smash Bros.
For information about the esports club, please follow them on Facebook, Twitter, Twitch or Discord. And, for information on the gaming tournaments club, please follow them on Facebook. For general information about campus clubs, please visit Campus Life.
Students interested in esports marketing, event and tournament planning, management, community, business development, production, broadcasting, streaming and content creation are also welcome to explore the college’s new Bachelor of Science in Esports Management or join the gaming tournaments or esports club.
What we play
Who we are
League of Legends roster – Spring 2019
Blue team – a/o spring 2019
- Andrew Beaulieu ’20
- Brandon Coulombe ’21
- Tyler Godfroy ‘ 20
- James Rankin ’20
- Brandon Stempler ’19 – Captain
White team – a/o spring 2019
- Reese Dikmak ’22
- Joseph Frangiosa ’20 – Captain
- Matthew Guerin ’21
- Haley Jarosz ’20
- Jacob Siegel ’21
Overwatch roster – Spring 2019
Blue team – a/o spring 2019
- Kieran Ford ’21
- Nic Gadzik ’22
- Haley Jarosz ’20
- Sam Hauser ’20
- Thomas Murphy ’21 – Captain
- Nate Pileski ’21
- CJ Sharkey ’22
SMITE roster – Fall 2018/Spring 2019 Special
Blue team – a/o fall 2018
- Austin Albertson ’20
- Marco Diaz II ’20
- Cameron Donahue ’20
- Jeffrey “Jefe” Lopera ’20 – Captain
- Nick Marino ’20
- Edwin Ordway ’20
- Timothy Loew, varsity esports program general manager, esports club advisor and executive director of the Massachusetts Digital Games Institute (MassDiGI)
- Donald Desrochers, varsity esports program coordinator, program director for interactive media design studios and camps and graphic design instructor
- Provided by Gamer Sensei
Current & upcoming competitions
- Winter/Spring 2019 CSL JV1 – LoL White
- Winter/Spring 2019 CLoL – LoL Blue
- Winter/Spring 2019 NACE SMITE Gem Cup – SMITE Blue, SMITE White
- Winter/Spring 2019 Tespa Overwatch Collegiate Championship: Varsity League – OW Blue
- Fall 2018 Upsurge ML – LoL Blue
- Fall 2018 NACE Championship for SMITE – SMITE Blue
- Fall 2018 CSL CL0L Pre-Season – LoL Blue
- Fall 2018 CSL JV1 – LoL White
- Fall 2018 Tespa Overwatch – Club
- Fall 2018 Boston Uprising Collegiate Cup – Club
- Spring 2018 AVGL Collegiate LoL – Club
- Winter 2017-2018 CSL JV1 – Club
- Fall 2017 Becker College Saturday Summit – Club
- Becker hosted Emerson College, Brown University and University of Oregon
Our sponsors & community partners
If you are interested in becoming a sponsor or community partner, please contact Timothy Loew.
Facilities, services and equipment
- Dedicated esports lab
- ORIGIN PC computers
- BenQ displays, Das mechanical keyboards, HyperX headsets and Logitech mice
- DXRacer ergonomic gaming chairs
- Archon Clothing uniforms
- Professional staff
- Wellness center and health services
- ROLLING OPEN TRYOUTS – Register for winter/spring 2019 League of Legends varsity team rolling open tryouts here.
- Becker Varsity Esports adds Overwatch team
Published on January 15, 2019 by Becker College
This semester Becker College students will be able to cheer for a new varsity esports team — Overwatch…
- Becker College trains talent for fast-growing esports industry
Published on December 30, 2018 by Worcester Telegram
Becker College saw opportunity in this booming market and launched the state’s first varsity esports program and the country’s first conferring Bachelor of Science degree in Esports Management…
- Becker is becoming a leader in the $1B esports industry
Published on December 10, 2018 by Worcester Business Journal
First, Becker College made a name for itself with a nationally renowned video game design program….
- Becker opens the field to esports
Published on December 4, 2018 by The Pulse
“The new generation is looking for a differentiation.” So says…
- Becker receives grant for esports lab
Published on November 2, 2018 by GoLocal
Becker College has been awarded a Collaborative Workspace Program grant from MassDevelopment to create an Esports Lab…
- Becker Varsity Esports enters AVGL League of Legends tournament
Published on October 17, 2018 by Becker College
The Becker College Varsity Esports Program League of Legends (LoL) Blue team will be competing in the American Video Game League (AVGL) College Community LoL Tournament starting on Saturday…
- Varsity Esports to square off in Collegiate Starleague
Published on October 9, 2018 by Becker College
The Becker College Varsity Esports Program League of Legends (LoL) Blue and White teams will both be competing in the Collegiate StarLeague (CSL) beginning this weekend…
- Becker Varsity Esports earns spot in SMITE championship
Published on October 1, 2018 by Becker College
The Becker College Varsity Esports Program SMITE Blue team is one of 28 squads in the country to earn a spot in the inaugural National Association of Collegiate Esports (NACE) Championship for SMITE….
- Becker to compete in Upsurge Esports Fall Tournament
Published on September 19, 2018 by Becker College
The Becker College Varsity Esports Program League of Legends (LoL) Blue team will kick-off its 2018-2019 season by competing in the Eastern Division Upsurge Esports LoL Minor League Tournament…
- ORIGIN PC partners with Becker Varsity Esports Program
Published on September 10, 2018 by Becker College
The Becker College Varsity Esports Program has named ORIGIN PC, the gaming industry standard for custom personal computers, as its preferred PC partner…
- Gaming giant ZAM Network backs Becker Varsity Esports Program
Published on August 28, 2018 by Becker College
The Becker College Varsity Esports Program is partnering with ZAM Network, a leading entertainment company that reaches over 20 million gamers a month through its popular game websites. ZAM Network is a sponsor for the college’s inaugural varsity esports season…
- Esports explosion leads to new Becker College program
Published on August 9, 2018 by Worcester Magazine
Remember when your parents would yell at you to put down the Atari or Nintendo and do your homework or get outside? Video games, they may have said, won’t help you graduate. Who knew? Nowadays, making or playing video games could very well get you through college…
- First Massachusetts college will launch varsity esports program, award scholarships
Published on June 18, 2018 by DotEsports
Becker College in central Massachusetts has an internationally-ranked game design program, so it’s a natural extension for the college to expand into esports. It’s the first college in Massachusetts to offer esports scholarships…
- Becker College: At the forefront of collegiate esports
Published on March 22, 2018 by Collegiate Starleague (CSL)
There’s no mistaking it: Esports has gotten pretty big over the years. Each year, we see bigger tournaments with fatter prize pools. From scholarships to clubs, schools have played a large part in aiding the esports scene just as they have for physical sports for decades…
- Inside the booming, billion-dollar business of esports
Published on February 17, 2018 by CBS This Morning
In this CBS report, Becker College sophomore Joe Frangiosa talks about esports and the business of games. Frangiosa is studying game development at Becker and is a member of the college’s League of Legends team…
- Becker esports wins debut competition
Published on January 16, 2018 by Becker College
Becker College’s esports club team won its debut competition in the League of Legend’s Collegiate Starleague (CSL). The Hawks defeated…
- Colleges seek edge in esports with free coaching for students
Published on November 7, 2017 by BostInno
As colleges and universities increasingly enter the world of collegiate competitive video gaming, some are finding a way to give their students and teams a distinct advantage: free esports coaching from the pros…
General eligibility snapshot
- Must be enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student.
- Must make satisfactory academic progress and maintain a minimum GPA.
- Must be a student in good standing across the college community.
- Must be committed, mannered, disciplined and responsible.
- Must follow program rules and regulations.
* Subject to change. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.