Linden Hall, Residence Life Office
64 William Street
Worcester, MA 01609
The mission of Living Learning Communities at Becker College is to integrate curricular and co-curricular experiences to foster characteristics of leadership, social responsibility, and creative expression. Living Learning Communities cultivate interactions among students, faculty, and staff by building a community of scholars who share common interests.
A Living Learning Community (LLC) is a group of students who live in the same residence hall and share a common interest or academic goal. Although each LLC will have a different theme, goals, and programs, they all strive to:
• Facilitate personal relationships among students, faculty, and staff;
• Build nurturing, welcoming atmospheres to increase learning and student retention;
• Encourage student participation in a variety of activities that foster a learning environment.
Being a part of an LLC will provide the residents with a mutual support network, offer evening social events, and have programs catered to the theme of the community, designed to enhance the overall Becker College experience. Some other benefits for participating residents are:
• Opportunities to develop a network of friends and meet those who share a common goal;
• Support to help improve grades;
• Help and encouragement through peer networking;
• A residential setting that is an active, supportive, and exciting place in which to live and learn!
The Interactive Media and Design Living Learning Community (IMAD LLC) started in Fall 2012. The IMAD LLC is for students of all years who are enrolled in any of the Design programs. IMAD residents often work on group projects together in the common room, attend various social programs hosted by the Resident Assistant and IMAD faculty, and take trips to conferences and seminars that focus on the gaming industry. These programs collectively give Interactive Media and Design LLC students the exclusive experiences that help them relate their classwork to real world situations within the field.
Location: Beeches Hall (first-year residents) & Bullock Hall (upper-class residents)
The World Awareness Living Learning Community is a new LLC at Becker College, launching in Fall 2016. The World Awareness LLC will be open to upper-class students of all academic majors. Residents of the World Awareness LLC will have the opportunity to explore both local and global issues related to sustainability, social justice, and cultural diversity. Through social and educational programming as well as service projects, residents will be empowered to act as compassionate global citizens who can make a difference in the world and enhance the lives of others.
Location: Davis Hall
The Animal Welfare Living Learning Community is a new LLC at Becker College, launching in Fall 2016. The Animal Welfare LLC will be open to upper-class students of all majors who have a passion for animals, big or small, and are interested in actively helping them locally, nationally, and globally. Residents of the Animal Welfare LLC will have the opportunity to volunteer, lobby, and fundraise to help support and raise awareness of animal welfare issues.
Location: May House
The Health & Wellness Living Learning Community is a new LLC at Becker College, launching in Fall 2016. The Health & Wellness LLC will be open to upper-class students of all majors who are interested in leading a balanced life. Residents will learn strategies for improving their health and well-being.
The Health & Wellness LLC provides students the opportunity to:
• Identify the different areas of wellness- social, physical, mental/emotional, spiritual, environmental, intellectual, and occupational;
• Experience personal growth by addressing the health of their mind, body, and spirit;
• Explore concepts of holistic wellness and locate resources on campus that promote wellbeing.
Students who participate in this learning community will be motivated to make a lifelong commitment to keeping wellness a priority.
Location: Lane Hall
For more information about the Living Learning Communities, please contact Stephanie Crane