Global @ Becker
Since arriving at Becker College, President Robert E. Johnson, Ph.D. has challenged the College community to educate students who can compete in a global society by instilling within the Becker College experience the three pillars of Global Citizenship: academic excellence, social responsibility, and creative expression.
The College has successfully delineated its vision, mission, and core values — an essential antecedent to establishing an agenda for Global Citizenship at Becker. Conversations were held throughout the College to gather input and ideas about what Global Citizenship means for Becker and its student experience.
Since then, we have:
- Examined key issues and trends in global higher education, identifying models and best practices that would be most applicable to and practicable for us. (Spring ‘12)
- Formed a short-term Global Citizenship Task Force, co-chaired by Kevin Mayne and Steve Moysey, to advance this agenda. (Spring ‘12). Members served in a formative task force until fall ’12.
- Crafted a Global Citizenship definition and graduate attribute statement.
- Built the Global Citizenship webpage, Facebook page, and Intranet site.
- Administered a Global Citizenship survey to faculty, staff, students, and alumni (April ‘12).
- Reported survey results to the Task Force.
- Established short-term goals (May ‘12).
- Established Global Citizenship as a College FY 2013 Strategic Goal: ”Goal 4—Integrate Global Citizenship into the Becker Experience”
- Launched the I-Lab Team
Becker College, and its Center for Accelerated & Professional Studies, celebrated Nontraditional Student Week, November 12-14, 2013, with special events…
Becker College dedicated Peace Poles – internationally recognized monuments to the hopes and dreams of the human family –…
Worcester Mayor Joseph M. Petty presented ONE at Becker College members Katherine Crowley ’14, Samantha Syner ’14, and Whitney Buck…