Incomplete Grades and Required Petition
In the case of extenuating circumstances the instructor may agree to request approval to give a student a final grade of Incomplete, if in the instructor’s assessment the student may reasonably complete the work required within 3-weeks of the following term start-date. This request must be approved, in writing by the Dean or Department Chair. Students should not assume that they will be allowed to complete work after a term has ended unless the request for the Incomplete has been requested by the course instructor and received the Dean’s or Chair’s approval.
The following may constitute a rationale for a grade of Incomplete:
- The student has completed at least 75% of course work/assignments prior to meeting with the course faculty to request the Incomplete.
- The situation that has compelled the student to request the Incomplete from the course instructor must be extraordinary, such as illness, natural disaster, or some other emergent situation, beyond the student’s control.
- The student must submit the outstanding course work to the instructor no later than 3-weeks following the next term start-date.
Incomplete Grade Process
- If the course instructor supports the student’s request to assign a grade of Incomplete, the instructor must complete the approved Becker College Incomplete Form, which will be forwarded to the Dean or Chair for formal approval and then automatically routed to the Registrar’s Office for processing.
- On the Incomplete Grade form the course instructor must indicate a deadline date (the “expiration date”) no later than 3-weeks from the next following term start-date when the student can submit the outstanding course work.
- Provided that the instructor receives the student’s completed course work on or before the expiration date, the instructor submits the Becker College Grade Change form, which will be forwarded to the Registrar’s office authorizing the student’s grade to be changed from “I” to the alpha grade earned.
If the student fails to submit the outstanding course work by the expiration date, the grade will automatically change from “I” to “F”.
To print an Incomplete Petition Form,