Alerts & Notifications
Please refer to this web page for special announcements relating to emergencies on campus. If there is an emergency situation, information will be disseminated through a variety of media which may include email, telephone, and/or text message.
January 28, 2015, 1:00 p.m.
Becker College will be open and classes will resume on Thursday, January 29. All student services—including the shuttle, dining hall hours, and libraries—resume their normal schedules.
Parking and walking around both campuses will continue to be challenging, so please be patient as we continue clean-up. Winter parking bans may be in effect. Additional daytime parking is available on the Worcester Campus in the St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Cathedral parking lot on the north side of Cedar Street in Worcester. It is available to faculty, staff, and commuters with valid Becker College-issued parking permits ONLY. This is NOT the lot directly behind the cathedral, but the lot across Cedar Street from the cathedral. Signs will be posted at both the Cedar Street and Russell Street entrances indicating “Becker College Commuting Students – Staff – Faculty – Administration.” Since Cedar Street is one way, anyone coming from Russell Street, adjacent to Elm Park, should use the Russell Street entrance. Access will be available Monday through Friday ONLY, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. Any vehicles left in the lot after 6 p.m., or on weekends, will be towed at the owner’s expense.
Becker College thanks students for their cooperation and understanding during this challenging situation. The College would also like to recognize the staff of Facilities, Dining Services, Campus Police, and Residence Life for ensuring our community remained safe during the blizzard. Many of these individuals stayed on campus throughout the storm, and we appreciate their commitment to our students, faculty, and staff.
January 27, 2015, 2:00 p.m.
Becker College will be closed on Wednesday, January 28.
Please note this important message for resident students: Dinner will be served on both campuses from 3:30 to 5 p.m. today. This earlier time is to ensure that students return to their residence halls before dark. No student is to be outside after dark due to hazardous travel and safety issues.
We anticipate that brunch tomorrow will be on schedule.
As of 2 p.m., the College reports no power outages on either campus.
January 27, 2015, 10:30 a.m.
As of 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, January 27, both the Worcester and Leicester campuses have power. Because of the duration and magnitude of this blizzard, students have been asked to remain in their residence halls for safety. The next update will be provided at 2 p.m.
CAMPUS SAFETY ALERT
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE BLIZZARD HEADED FOR NEW ENGLAND
January 26, 2015, 2:00 p.m.
Current forecasts indicate that a blizzard is headed for New England, with the potential of two to three feet of snow, strong winds, and extremely hazardous, white-out travel conditions. The storm is expected to last from Monday, January 26, through Wednesday, January 28. Please note that forecasters are indicating a long-term event with significant, widespread power outages.
Becker College is cancelling classes after 2:00 p.m. on Monday, January 26, 2015; all students should check Canvas for class-related messages.
College offices will close at 3:30 p.m. on Monday, January 26, 2015. Becker College will be CLOSED on Tuesday, January 27, 2015. Only essential personnel will be allowed on campus during this time. Employees are encouraged to shut down and unplug all electronic devices.
The last shuttle today will leave Leicester at 6:30 p.m., Worcester at 7:00 p.m., will leave Dalton Hall to go to Bancroft Hall at 7:00 p.m. There will be no shuttle service on Tuesday, January 27.
The College will continue to use electronic communication (text, email, and website updates) as long as we are able. Residence Life staff are on-call 24 hours a day. Please keep your phones and wireless devices charged. These are the methods we will use to keep you informed about changes to this plan and updates as to the condition of the campuses.
Please take note of the following storm-related information. Additional Safety Alerts will be provided as warranted. Note: These plans outlined here are subject to change due to changing weather conditions.
- We encourage students to either go home or consider leaving campus to stay at a friend’s or relative’s home, when classes end at 2:10 p.m. We anticipate conditions on campus to deteriorate quickly through the day on Monday, January 26. Widespread and long duration power outages are expected. The residence halls will get cold and uncomfortable quickly. We may consolidate residents who do not leave into central locations on each campus. Please make every effort to leave campus before the snow starts for your safety.
- If you have any medical condition that might be affected by an evacuation or loss of power (mobility issue, severe food allergy, need for refrigerated insulin, etc.), please contact Health Services immediately, at 354.0471, so we can plan for your needs.
- All campus buildings, except for the dining halls, will be closed and locked at 8:00 p.m. on Monday, January 26, 2015; there will be no security card access. This includes the Design Building on the Worcester Campus, the Fuller Campus Center on the Leicester Campus, and all buildings on both campuses where computer labs are located.
- Please note that if you choose to stay on campus, any violations of our student code of conduct will be dealt with severely. No alcohol or controlled substance of any kind will be tolerated, and violators will risk serious judicial sanctions. There will be NO GUESTS allowed on campus until further notice. This is a serious situation, and we will not tolerate behavior which causes any type of disruption.
IMPORTANT REMINDER: Smoking and burning candles in any residence hall at any time is prohibited. Please have on hand other sources of lighting (e.g., flashlights).
- Whether you leave campus or stay, once all of your electronic device batteries are fully charged, please shut down and unplug all workstations, laptops, monitors, and printers to avoid possible damage. It is also a good idea to unplug any wide-screen televisions or projection systems in conference rooms or common areas.
- Students who are considering traveling to an off-campus location should notify a Resident Assistant before they leave so we will have a more accurate account of who is on campus should we need to relocate students who are staying on campus.
- The winter parking ban is in effect in Leicester and Worcester. Students who are staying on campus must remove their vehicles from streets before the storm arrives. Parking is available at the following locations:
Leicester Campus: As soon as possible, move ALL vehicles to the Leicester Gymnasium parking lot or Marsh Hall B lot. These will be the ONLY parking areas available.
Worcester Campus: As soon as possible, move ALL vehicles to the West Street lot, Fruit Street lot, or the Cypress Hall lot on Cedar Street. These will be the ONLY parking areas available.
Cars parked in any lots other than those specified above will be towed, at the owner’s expense.
- There will be no athletic or campus activities until further notice.
- Due to the possibility of relocation, we recommend students prepare an overnight bag with the following items:
Two days of warm clothing, including all-weather gear
• Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.)
• Medicine (prescription and over-the-counter)
• Wallet/purse with insurance cards, identification, etc.
• Cell phone charger
• Homework or school materials
• Games, pleasure reading, etc.
• Snacks and/or drinks (including refillable water bottle)
- Students are advised to shelter in place during this dangerous storm.
- Information about campus food services includes the following:
UPDATE: Please note that students need card for access to dining halls for dinner on Monday, January 26, 2015, and at that time, students will pick up a boxed brunch for Tuesday, January 27.
Tuesday, January 27: Information regarding Tuesday dinner will be forthcoming. The Hawks Nest (Worcester) and the Campus Center coffee shop (Leicester) will be closed on Tuesday and are expected to reopen on Wednesday.
Note: These plans outlined here are subject to change due to changing weather conditions.
Campus Police will remain staffed around the clock and may be contacted at 508.373.9555 or extension 9-5-5-5 from any college phone. Call Worcester Police at 508.799.8606 or Leicester Police at 508.892.7010, or 911 for an EMERGENCY (both locations).
Please note: All media inquiries are to be directed to Kimberly Dunbar, Associate Director of Media and Public Relations, at (cell) 508.340.6620 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
BECKER COLLEGE POLICE SAFETY ALERT
February 19, 2014
The Becker College Police Department has received information that a patient (not affiliated with Becker College) in a local area hospital claimed to have been shot while in the area of West Street and Dayton Street at approximately 12:00 p.m. on February 19, 2014. The subject claimed that she was walking in the area and heard a loud bang and felt pain in her leg. Police responded from the hospital to the area and found that no crime scene could be located in or around the location that was reported. There is no suspect description. The patient also reported that she was driven to the hospital by a friend. However, that friend dropped her off at the hospital and left. Worcester Police and Becker College Police checked the area, and a search for witnesses and evidence was conducted.
The Worcester Police Department is actively investigating this reported incident. Both the Becker College and Worcester Police Departments will be continuing patrols of the area to assist in promoting the safety and security of the College community and neighborhood. It is the advisory of this department that all College students and personnel should be alert and aware and REPORT SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY IMMEDIATELY.
If anyone has any information regarding this incident, please contact
Becker College Police @ 508.373.9555
Worcester Police @ 508.799.8600, or in emergency 9-1-1
The Becker College Police Department has provided the following Personal Safety Tips
- Be alert to your surroundings.
- Always utilize the Becker College Safety Escort Service by contacting Campus Police at the above number.
- Please report any suspicious people, activities, or vehicles to the Campus Police Department immediately. Even if you are unsure something is suspicious, report it anyway.
- All resident halls should have the first floor doors and windows secure at all times.