Evolution of Our Name
Act of Incorporation was passed by State Legislature March 23, 1784.
The charter bears this date and is signed by Tristram Dalton, then speaker of the State House of Representatives; Samuel Adams, then president of the State Senate; John Hancock, then Governor of Massachusetts, and John Avery, Jr., then Massachusetts secretary of the Commonwealth (original charter is preserved at the American Antiquarian Society).
The Academy opened June 7, 1784.
The lease between Leicester Academy and the Town of Leicester, in which the Town rented the Academy building and property for a high school, began in 1921.
Leicester Junior College (LJC)
In 1939, the Board of Trustees petitioned the State Legislature to alter the original charter so that the Academy could re-open as a junior college. The State Legislature approved the petition in 1940; the first students arrived in September 1940.
The new junior college initially was called simply “Leicester” and self-described as “A School of Business Administration” for young men.
Progress was interrupted by World War II.
LJC was granted the right to award associate of science degrees in business administration in 1948 by the Massachusetts Board of Collegiate Authority.
Becker’s Business College
The College opened in April or October 1887.
The College occupied three rooms on the floor of the Denholm & McKay Building (The Boston Store), 492 Main Street (across the street from Worcester City Hall, to the southwest) from 1887 to 1910.
Incorporated, following the death of E. C. A. Becker, in 1907.
In 1910, the College moved to 98 Front Street, the Clark Building.
In 1926, two new directors were hired: Warren C. Lane and Edward P. Jenison. The name was changed to Becker College of Business Administration and Secretarial Science and changed to a two-year, four-semester program and added liberal arts courses. The “’s” may have been dropped from the school name at this time.
Becker College of Business Administration and Secretarial Science
The College was purchased in 1927 by Warren C. Lane and Edward P. Jenison.
Becker consolidated with Post’s Institute (a.k.a. Worcester Business Institute), 74 Front Street, in July 1931. Post’s Institute was founded by Charles B. Post, who joined the Becker faculty at the merger.
The College moved to 74 Front Street in 1932.
Becker later purchased the Congressman Charles Washburn mansion (Converse Hall), 44 Elm Street, leaving downtown Worcester, and soon after, purchased the Colton house (1893) (Colton Hall), Cedar Street, for a dormitory.
In 1940, Lane and Jenison applied to Massachusetts Legislature for nonprofit status.
On April 5, 1943, Legislature allowed a change in name to Becker Junior College and the granting of the associate in science degree.
Becker Junior College (solo)
The College purchased the former Bancroft School for Girls, 61 Sever Street in 1958.
Becker Junior College (merged)
Consolidation of Leicester Junior College and Becker Junior College was determined in September 1976 and became official on March 8, 1977 at the celebration of the merger.
“Becker Junior College” was retained as the name of the merged institutions.
1990 to present.